Monday, June 25, 2018

DIY Sprouts!

I learned about sprouting several years ago and it is SO simple, I wish I had learned sooner! When I finally was brave enough to try them for the first time, I was surprised how much I loved them! Also, the taste is different depending on what 'seed' you use! You can put them in salads, on sandwiches, stir-fry, burritos etc. Some even have the taste of fresh garden peas!

Lentil sprouts taste similar to sugar snap peas, are super cheap to buy, and I LOVE those on my salad! Mung bean sprouts have more of a green bean flavor. Alfalfa sprouts are well-known and can be found in stores. They have a spicier more bitter taste to them. There are many other varieties to try and so many options to choose from! You can even mix them!

First: You take a jar and put about a 1/4 cup washed and rinsed and sorted lentils (you have to pick out the cracked or broken ones because they will sprout first and mold, I guess). Then you take netting (pantyhose or white toole works fine) and put it around the mouth of the jar. Secure it with a rubber band or jar ring.
Then: you soak these beans for 10 hours or so.
Next: use the netting as a strainer to dump out the water but not the beans. You rinse the beans 3 times a day for 2-4 days. after rinsing them, be sure to drain them completely and never let them sit in standing water after the first initial soaking. Store them in a cool, dry, dark place until they are ready to eat.

The coolest part is that when they sprout, it is said that the Vitamin C value increases 600+ percent than before they sprouted! So these sprouts are packed FULL of vitamins and nutrients. This is especially good if you don't have veggies or greens readily available. (If only Anne Frank would have known this, they wouldn't have had to eat only lettuce day after day...) ;)

You can buy prepackaged sprouting seeds, or you can just use dry lentils and mung beans like I did in the picture below! (I will post a sprouting picture once they are ready!)

Let me know what you think when you try them!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Instagram Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More