Tuesday, July 6, 2021

MLM realization

I am against mlms and it was not because I didn't make money with them. 

I did. 
It's because I realized the bottom line of the mlm structure is recruiting others to this life of continually selling and recruiting and making money off of others. It was not pleasant. It was not fulfilling. I loved the relationships, but it seemed they were only based on success in the business. To maintain respect from 'leaders', you had to continually prove yourself by selling and recruiting. 😣😞😢
The toxic positivity is damaging and hurtful. 

My experience with Beachbody went from amazing to horrible. I lost a significant amount of weight by working out and eating healthy (imagine that) and had great local support because it was kinda new in my area back then. Then it started getting worse because people were being recruited left and right and it seemed that the support was no longer there. If you weren't on that person's 'team' (or downline) then you didn't matter. It became about ranks and points and advancements and all business. The honest friendships and support system had changed and I no longer felt comfortable inviting people to it. I was still making money, but I left it.

However, I was in deep and I now recognize it as borderline brainwashing---- I had correlated my weight-loss with the business and given so much credit to my weight-loss to the products and not enough credit to myself. We were told things like "You are a walking billboard for the products" and "be a product of the product so people ask what you are doing". When I stopped the business, I also stopped the working out part because it had become such a negative experience for me. I gained ALL the weight back and then some.

Years later, I desired to lose weight but because of the brainwashing, I couldn't see any other way than with Beachbody. So I signed back up with a different sponsor hoping for a different experience. It was still the same. They constantly mention ranks and money and it just felt fake. Like I was another number helping someone else rank advance.

Since stopping, I have realized how predatory and selfish mlms are. For every 'successful' person, there are countless under them that are NOT making any money. In all mlms, the products are WAYYYYY overpriced and are mediocre quality. You don't make money in mlm unless you sell products and sign people up under you.
A pyramid scheme is where there is always someone at the bottom NOT making money, so if you want to make money with MLM, you just sign people up to take your place at the bottom.

I made money, but do you know how many people I had under me that were not making money? At least 50..... so for every 1 person making money, I would be willing to bet there are at least 50 under them NOT making money. It is a terrible business model based off of 'hopes and dreams' and the only way to make those dreams reality is to sign up people under you. It is a never ending cycle. And now I am left with bad body image that was created by seeing it as a 'money-maker'. I have to figure out how to lose the weight the proper way without making myself a 'billboard'.

Never doing mlm again.

The money-maker is in selling the 'opportunity' to make more money. They get you with that dream board. Preying on people's insecurities for hope for a better life. The line is so blurry between them being considered a legal pyramid scheme. The loopholes have been created so they can operate legally through the guise of overpriced products.

(-Cherish Saurey 2019)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Instagram Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More